With the dawn of the summer months, hundreds of garden barbeques are dusted off ready to be fired up on the long summer evenings. This is one of my favourite recipes for a barbeque, but don’t forget the salad!
Preparation time: 5 minutes each
Cooking time: 8 minutes (straw potatoes)
For the straw potatoes
- Peel and cut the potatoes to fit the feed tube.
- Attach the chipping disc and turn to speed 2.
- Place the chipped potatoes into a bowl of water.
- When you are ready to cook them, drain and pat drywith a tea towel.
- In batches cook the potatoes in a preheated deep fat fryerset at 170ºC.
- Drain and scatter with coarse salt.
For the rump steak rub
- Attach the knife blade to the food processor.
- Add all the ingredients and chop.
- Rub the mixture onto the steak and leave to marinate for an hour in the refrigerator.
- Place onto a hot barbeque until cooked to your preference, remember to turn the steak frequently.
For the barbeque sauce
- Attach the knife blade.
- Cut the top off the chilli and deseed.
- Add the chilli, taragon and the salt then chop.
- Add the white wine vinegar, ketchup, stock, Tabasco and liquid smoke and process until combined.
- Place the contents into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Mix the cornflour with the water.
- Add to the sauce stirring all the time.
- Allow to cool before using.
Chef’s tip: liquid smoke is a great flavourthat is easy to get from the internet. As its name suggests it adds that smoky flavour to the sauce.