1 large onion
1 clove garlic
Tblspoon olive oil
1 large pinch of ground clove
200 g Red Split lentils
1.5 pints vegetable stock
1 x 400 g can Chopped Tomatoes
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 Tblspoon Tomato puree
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper
Entered by Silvya Hough on 2/12/2013
A warming "Fast Food" vegetarian soup, ready in minutes on a cold day, (when cooked in a pressure cooker), The whole family will enjoy this soup served with warm crusty bread.
1. Prepare vegetables by peeling and chopping roughly.
2. Place the tablespoon of oil in the pressure cooker base and heat gently with the vegetables and ground clove.
3. Add the red split lentils, stock and chopped tomatoes. Stir well.
4. Now add the remaining ingredients except salt.
5. Place lid on pressure cooker. Bring to pressure gently and cook at pressure for 10 minutes (COOK FOR 20-30 MINUTES IF NOT USING A PRESSURE COOKER) .
6. Turn off, allow to reduce pressure without opening valve. Remove lid. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Use a hand blender in the pressure cooker until a smooth consistency is reached OR if a more robust soup is preferred, leave vegetables intact and serve with crusty bread. A PRESSURE COOKER IS NOT A MUST, BUT WILL HASTEN THE COOKING PROCESS BY TWO THIRDS.