2 medium egg whites
225g caster sugar
125g ground almonds
¼ tsp almond extract
Nuts to decorate – blanched almonds or pistachios look pretty
Entered by Joanna Carroll on 10/11/2013
This recipe was passed on from my late Granny Donna, who used to make these macaroons every time we visited. She had a whole collection of hand-written recipes which I have kept, and I turned to this recipe when I started my blog www.whatjoannaate.com last year. She inspired me to start baking, so it was a very fitting first blog post.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C).
- Whisk the egg whites in a squeaky clean bowl until they reach stiff peaks (should be stiff enough to stand up on their own in the bowl).
- Gradually fold in the sugar, and then gently stir in the ground almonds and almond extract to make a paste.
- Spoon teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto a lined baking sheet, with enough space for them to spread out, then decorate with your chosen nuts.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around 12-14 minutes, until the macaroons are just golden.
- Leave to cool a little on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, before moving to a cooling rack to cool completely.