Large Pinch saffron
1 red pepper, cut into strips
225g button mushrooms
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 red onions, chopped
225g Arborio rice
175g frozen peas
3 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
½ tsp salt
30g toasted flaked almonds (extra for garnish)
60g grated cheddar (extra for garnish)
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (extra for garnish)
Entered by Melanie Booth on 05/11/2013
This is a recipe that my mother taught me how to make this when I was a little girl, and I now regularly cook this for me and my partner, and hope to cook this for my children in the future. I expect you may get some recipes in this competition that have been passed down several generations, but since my mother was the first in the family to turn vegetarian in the 70s, this recipe starts with her! I'm not vegetarian myself, but she taught me that you don't always need meat to make a moreish meal!
- Crush the saffron to a rough powder, and mix into 600ml boiling water.
- Heat the butter in a large pan, and cook the mushrooms, red peppers and garlic for 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the red peppers and mushrooms and set aside.
- Fry the onions in the remaining butter for 5 minutes, covered. Mix in the rice, add the saffron water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently and cook covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas, tomatoes, seasoning, and simmer covered for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir in the nuts, cheese, parsley and the reserved peppers and mushrooms. Cook for five minutes or until the cheese has melted, and the ingredients are well mixed and hot. Season to taste and serve.