Entered by Siobhan Slattery on 12/11/2013
Recently, I was asked to make a birthday cake. When I think of a birthday cake I always think of CHOCOLATE! So low and behold I created this wonderful, sweet and chocolate cake, perfect for the get-together! This cake is super quick to make and turns out great. When divided into the two tins, the cake comes out the perfect depth. Not too big, but not too thin either! You simply must give this a try! A great treat for all the family... Enjoy :)
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line two 23cm round baking tins.
2. For the cake, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and gradually add in the eggs, beating after every addition.
3. Add the cooled, melted chocolate and stir to combine.
4. Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Fold the dry ingredients in, using a spatula until combined. 5. Scoop out the mixture into the prepared tins, ensuring the surfaces are even.
6. Place the tins in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes, until evenly cooked and an inserted skewers comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.
1. In a medium bowl, mix the butter, icing sugar and cocoa together, using an electric mixer until combined.
2. When the cakes have cooled completely,place one half on a large place, or cake stand.
3. Using a palette knife, spoon half of the icing on the cake and spread out evenly.
4. Place the other cake on top. Then using the remaining icing. spread it out evenly onto the cake.
5. Decorate as you wish. Above, I have used smarties, oreos, Dr. Oetker chocolate stars and Dr. Oetker vanilla icing. And that's it! It really is only a couple of steps, but will leave people gobsmacked with its incredible taste and show stopping appearance!
Will serve 12