1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind
3 large eggs
9 oz self raising flour
10 oz caster sugar
2½ oz cocoa powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
8 fl oz fresh squeezed orange juice
2 fl oz water 75g chopped hazelnuts
3- 5 tablespoons orange juice to taste
3 oz icing sugar
25g hazelnuts approx. (10 whole remainder chopped)
Entered by Janis Catlin on 15/01/2014
A simple but effective recipe that is easy to prepare and even easier to enjoy!
Set oven at 180˚C. Grease and base line a 7" cake tin.
- Place all the ingredients into a food mixer/processor bowl and beat for about 3 mins.
- Add chopped hazelnuts and mix well.
- Put the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for approx. 10 mins in the tin and then leave until cold before adding the topping.
To make the topping:
- Mix together the marscapone cheese, icing sugar and orange juice.
- Pile on top of the cold cake, and cover the surface making swirls to decorate.
- Finally add whole and chopped hazelnuts to decorate