250g (9oz) plain flour
25g (1oz) cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder.
1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda.
100g (4oz) butter, softened
250g (9oz) caster sugar
a few drops Vanilla extract
175ml. (6fl oz) milk
2 cooking apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped or grated
450g (1lb) icing sugar, sifted.
25g (1oz) cocoa
50g (2oz) butter
90ml (3fl oz) milk.
Entered by Antonina Bayer on 3/12/2013
I have been making this cake for years and years. It has aways been a winner.Once you make this chocolate cake, you will not want to make any other ones...It easily keeps for a week or longer, thats if your kids and family do not get to it first!!
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F/gas 4. Grease a 20cm (8in) square cake tin. Line the base and sides with greaseproof paper.
- Sift together the flour,cocoa,baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and set aside.
- Put the butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat with an electric whisk until light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time.Add the vanilla extract.
- Whisk a little of the flour mixture and milk alternately into the egg mixture,mixing well after each addition. Mix in the chopped or grated apples.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 45-50 minutes,or until a warm skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave for 5 minutes,then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Transfer to a large large serving plate.
- For the icing,put the icing sugar,cocoa, butter and milk into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk,on low speed,until creamy and smooth. Spread onto the top and sides of the cake,. Cut into squares and serve.