Lucky it was an upside down cake!
I was pleased to see this week’s recipe, as the plum tree in my garden has just started producing fruit and I have been wondering what to do with it.
I started by beating together butter and sugar using my Kenwood Chef, which made short work of the task. When it came to adding the eggs and flour I couldn’t seem to find the self-raising flour anywhere and, as it was late on a Sunday evening, I had no chance of buying any. I ended up having to improvise. I found an old pot of baking powder in the cupboard and added this to plain flour to compensate. I vaguely remembered that
baking powder gets less effective as it gets older, so I added a bit extra for luck.
I only own one baking tin and it’s a bit bigger than 18cm, so I just had to spread the mix a little thinner. Perhaps, because it was thinner than intended or perhaps because I have a fan oven, after about 10 minutes an unfortunate burning smell started to emanate from the kitchen. I dashed in and turned it down quickly but there were a few spots on the top that looked burnt. I was just debating whether I could ice the cake, to cover the problem, when I remembered that it was an upside-down cake, so instead I simply turned it over!
I will definitely buy self-raising flour and try to make the correct amount of mix for my tin if I try this again. But in the end, I was quite pleased with how the cake looked and tasted.