Gluten free bread can be tricky to master at home. With the help of your Kenwood Chef this medium loaf is easy to make and is ideal for tea time sandwiches or packed lunches.
For the bread
- 450g gluten free white bread flour plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp fast action dried yeast
- 2 medium eggs
- 200ml semi-skimmed milk plus extra for glazing
- 150ml warm water
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil plus extra for oiling
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
For the fillings
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- ½ punnet salad cress
- 15g butter, at room temperature
- 100g smoked salmon
- 3tbsp cream cheese
- ½ lemon, to taste
- Place the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in the Kenwood Chef bowl fitted with the dough hook. Add the eggs, milk, water, vegetable oil and vinegar to the bowl. Mix on a low speed until all the ingredients are combined, then scrape down any mixture from the sides of the bowl. Knead on a medium speed for 5 minutes. The dough will have a loose consistency.
- Brush a 1kg loaf tin with vegetable oil. Place the mixture in the prepared tin. Cover loosely with oiled cling film and set aside to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas mark 6.
- Brush the loaf with milk and sprinkle with a little flour. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack and set aside to cool completely.
- For the egg and cress filling, place the eggs in a small pan of cold water, bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes. Drain and cool under cold running water. Peel the shells off, roughly chop the eggs and place in a bowl. Add the mayonnaise and cress and season to taste. Chill until ready to use.
- Once the bread is completely cold, trim off the ends and cut it into 12 slices. Spread half of the slices of bread with the butter. Spread the remaining slices with cream cheese.
- Divide the egg mixture between half the buttered slices of bread and top with the remaining buttered slices. Divide the smoked salmon between half the bread spread with cream cheese, season to taste with black pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. Top with the remaining bread spread with cream cheese. Cut the filled sandwiches in half and serve straight away.