Makes: 22 x 5cm round cake
Preparation time: 30 minutes plus cooling
Cooking time: 1 hour
Tools: Flexi Beater / Power Whisk
What is Sachertorte?
Sachertorte was first created by Franz Sacher, an Austrian, in 1832. The rich chocolate cake (or torte) was specifically created for Prince Wenzel von Metternich in Vienna, Austria and is still today one of the most famous Viennese culinary specialities.
- Attach the Power Whisk and add the eggs whites. Set the speed to maximum and whip for 2 minutes 30 seconds. When the whites have quadrupled in size with the machine still running sprinkle the sugar on top. Mix for another minute, and then take out of the bowl and reserve.
- Attach the Flexi Beater, cut the butter into cubes and add to the bowl with the icing sugar. Split the vanilla pod in half, scrape out the seeds and add these to the bowl. Attach the Splashguard.
- Set the temperature to 25ºC and the speed to 4 and beat for 3 minutes. Slowly add the egg yolks and then the melted chocolate maintaining the speed and temperature. Carefully fold a third of the meringue mixture into the yolk mixture using the fold function, followed by the flour and cocoa powder. Finish with the rest of the meringue.
- Using the Spatula, spoon the mixture into the cake tin and cook in a preheated oven at 170ºC/325°F/Gas 3 for 40 minutes. Take out of the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before turning it out on a cooling rack.
- Slice the cake in two, horizontally. Using a clean Cooking Chef bowl place the apricot jam into the bowl and bring to a simmer (90°C). Spread two thirds of the jam between the two cake pieces to sandwich together. Spread the remaining jam over the outside and top of the cake.
- Attach the Flexi Beater, add the chocolate and set the temperature to 50ºC and the speed to 4. When the chocolate has melted add the butter. Mix the rum and cocoa powder together and add to the bowl. Add the glucose.
- Pour the glaze over the cake, spreading out with a spatula, and allow to set.
Cook’s note: If the glaze looks like it has split, attach the Power Whisk, add 10ml of double cream and whisk for 30 seconds.