Your Kenwood Chef is your helping hand for making everyday basics – like pastry. So put your K Beater to good use to create this special savoury tart.
Make this stunning centrepiece for a special meal – it’s perfect for buffets, picnics and summer outdoor entertaining.
Cooking time: 30-60 minutes
Preparation time: 30-40 minutes
Serves: Up to 6 people
Course: Main dishes
Tools: Kenwood Chef K Beater
- Place the flour, salt, butter or margarine and vegetable fat in the Kenwood Bowl. Using the K Beater at speed 2, mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Whilst the K Beater is turning, sprinkle the water into the bowl a spoonful at a time, until the mixture forms a dough. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly to form a ball. Wrap and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 35 x 10 (14 x 4 inch) oblong or 23cm (9 inch) round flan tin. Prick the surface with a fork. Line with foil or greaseproof paper and baking beans and chill for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan oven 180°C/Gas 6. Bake the flan “blind” (without its filling) for 10 minutes, then remove the foil or paper and beans. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/Gas 4.
- Meanwhile, lightly cook the asparagus spears for 4-5 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain well. Arrange in the tart with the pieces of smoked salmon and cherry tomatoes.
- Beat together the milk, eggs and soft ccheese. Season. Carefully pour into the tart. Bake for a further 20-25 minutes, or until set and golden brown. Cool slightly, then slice and serve.
Cook’s tip: Why not make double the quantity of pastry, then you can chill half to use within a couple of days.