110g/4oz caster sugar
1 egg, separated
225g/8oz plain flour
¼ tsp mixed spice
30g/1oz candied peel
3 tbsp milk
a little extra caster sugar, to finish
Makes: 20-25 biscuits
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 to 30 minutes
- Preheat the oven 160C/325F/Gas 3 and grease a baking sheet.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy and beat in the egg yolk.
- Sieve the flour and fold into the mixture together with the mixed spice, currants and candied peel. Add enough milk to make a stiff dough.
- Roll out the dough and cut out the biscuits with a fluted cutter. Place them on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove, brush with the egg white, sprinkle with sugar and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes until they are a pale golden brown.
- Remove from the tray and cool on a wire rack.