Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 1h 15 minutes
- Peel the prawns and set aside. To make the stock, put the prawn shells with the heads into a large saucepan with 1.2 litres of water, lemon peel, celery and small onion, slowly bring to the boil. Remove any froth which rises to the surface. Lower the heat and simmer for 25 minutes. Strain the stock through a sieve. Return to a rinsed out pan and simmer, reduce to 750ml.
- To make the soup, put the medium onion and carrots into the blender and press the coarse chop programme.
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the onion and carrots and cook for 2 minutes. Put the fennel into the blender and press the coarse chop programme, then add to the pan, cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened.
- Pour in the wine and brandy and bubble for 1 minute, then add the stock, tomatoes and paprika, and three quarters of the peeled prawns, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly then purée in the blender using the soups programme (do not exceed 1200ml / 5 cups maximum hot liquid capacity).
- Return to the pan and season if needed, then serve garnished with the reserved prawns, fennel fronds and an extra dusting of paprika.