Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
To make the beefburger:
- Put the minced beef into a bowl.
- Add the white bread to the blender and press the coarse chop programme, remove from the blender and add to the beef.
- Add the onion to the blender and press the coarse chop button, add to the reserved beef and breadcrumbs. Add mustard, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into four, six or eight portions and shape into rounds. Place on a tray and refrigerate.
To make the sauce:
- Rinse the blender using the rinse programme then put the onion, garlic and chilli (if using) into the blender and chop using the coarse chop programme.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the chopped onion mixture and cook over a medium heat, stirring until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and simmer, uncovered for at least 20 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and pulpy. Pour the tomato sauce into the blender and process on a medium speed until smooth.
- Brush the beefburgers with a little oil and grill for 4-6 minutes each side (depending on their thickness).
- Serve in bread buns with the blended tomato sauce.
Tip: Any remaining sauce can be kept in the fridge for up to a week and served with other dishes e.g. fish fingers.
Try different flavours: For the beefburgers add other flavourings as you wish e.g. 2 tsp finely chopped rosemary or 1 tbsp horseradish sauce or chopped fresh chilli.