For the Coffee Granita
Preparation time: 10 minutes plus freezing time
Cooking time: no cooking
- Stir the sugar into the hot coffee then leave to cool. Pour the coffee mixture into a shallow dish and transfer to the freezer.
- After 45 minutes, take the dish from the freezer and bring the solidifying ice crystals from the sides of the dish into the middle, breaking them up.
- Repeat this process about three times then leave to freeze completely.
- When ready to serve the granita, transfer to the fridge for 10-15 minutes, break the solid pieces into chunks and put into the blender.
- Press the ice crushing programme and allow the granita to break up to give large coffee crystals. Spoon into serving dishes and serve immediately.
For the Lemon Granita
Preparation time: 20 minutes plus freezing
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- Put the sugar, lemon zest and 150ml of water into a pan and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved then simmer for 5 minutes. Allow to cool and add the lemon juice.
- Stir in the soda water then pour the mixture into a shallow dish and place in the freezer.
- Follow steps 2-5 of the coffee granita.