The Cooking Chef makes preparing a stew easier than ever, and asparagus and peas are two tasty vegetables that are especially fresh and flavorful. Adding chicken to the dish gives the stew another dimension, where all the flavors immer together for a healthy, satisfying bite.
Preparation time: 15 minutes to assemble, 45 minutes to cook grains
Cooking time: 35 minutes
Attachments: Cooking Chef Bowl, Stirring Tool, and Flexi Beater
- To cook emmer, in the Cooking Chef bowl, cover emmer with 3 cups vegetable stock, add the crushed clove of garlic and a pinch of salt. Heat at 220ºF, simmer for 45 minutes, while stirring every 30 seconds with the Flexi-Beater set on stirring Speed #2. When emmer is tender, remove from the Cooking Chef and reserve.
- In the empty Cooking Chef bowl, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil at 160ºF. Lightly brown the chicken pieces, about 10 minutes, with the Stirring Tool set on stirring speed #3 so that it spins every 30 seconds.
- Add the onions and the minced garlic, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add milk, remaining vegetable stock, salt and pepper. Simmer while stirring for 15 minutes.
- Add asparagus and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add peas, lettuce, tarragon and lemon juice. Cook for 3 minutes, and season to taste. Remove bowl from Cooking Chef.
- Spoon cooked emmer into a pasta bowl, and ladle chicken stew over the top.
1 cup emmer
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp orange or vanilla extract
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 boneless chicken thighs, cubed
1 spring oniion, large, minced finely
1 clove garlic - minced finely
1 cup milk
12 spears asparagus, trimmed into 1 inch pieces
4 cup peas, shucked
1 head baby lettuce
1 tbsp chopped tarragon
1/4 lemon, juiced
Salt and pepper to taste