Recipe by Jordan Rondel for Kenwood
- 1½ cups unsweetened pumpkin purée (Jordan recommends ‘Libby’s’ which you can buy from most supermarkets)
- ¾ cup maple syrup
- 6 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed
- 200g spelt flour, or plain flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
To top with:
- 1/2 cup un-toasted coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC fan bake. Place 12 papers in the holes of a cupcake tray.
- In a food processor, blend together the pumpkin purée, the maple syrup, olive oil and banana, until smooth.
- Pour this mixture into a large bowl, and sift in the flour, spices, raising agents and salt. Combine together until everything is well mixed.
- Add the apple cider vinegar and mix in quickly.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake holes and sprinkle over the coconut flakes, pressing them down lightly into the batter.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until golden in colour, springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre of one comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool for around 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tip: Store in a cool, dry place in an airtight container for up to 3 days.