Recipe for Kenwood by Claire Turnbull
This dense, delicious cake is low in saturated fat, has less sugar than other cakes and also has the goodness of nuts which boosts the fibre! Perfect if you have friends coming over and for afternoon tea. It freezes well, so you can pop a slice in the lunchbox too
- 75 mls canola or rice bran oil
- 175g self-raising flour or GF baking flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 140g ground almonds
- Zest of 2 large or 3 small lemons (more if you like it more lemony!)
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 large eggs
- 225g natural unsweetened yoghurt
- Pre heat your oven to 180°C and lightly oil a small loaf tin and line the base with baking paper (alternatively you can use a 15cm round cake tin)
- Attach the sieve bowl / attachment to your Kenwood chef / cooking chef (use the fine sieve) and then put the flour, almonds, baking powder into the sieve.
- Turn on your machine to a medium speed for about 2 minutes or until all the dry ingredients have been sieved and are in the bowl below.
- Remove the sieve and attach the creaming beater to your Kenwood chef / cooking chef.
- Add the lemon zest and sugar to the bowl with the dry ingredients which you have sieved.
- In a separate small bowl beat the eggs then add these to the dry ingredients along with the yoghurt and oil.
- Turn your Kenwood chef / cooking chef on at a low speed. Allow the ingredients to combine but avoid over mixing.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 40 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Top tip: Cover the cake loosely with foil for the final 5-10 mins if it starts to brown too quickly.