Recipe for Kenwood by Claire Turnbull
Traditionally risottos are packed with butter and/or cream and light on vegetables – not ideal for a healthy meal. My version however is equally delicious, but much better for you, plus the Kenwood Cooking Chef does all the hard work for you and makes an incredibly creamy risotto in next to no time!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 large leeks, outer layer removed, bottom trimmed and thoroughly washed
- 1.5 cups Risotto Rice
- 4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock – homemade or cubes if you like (or 3 cups with 1 cup wine for a special occasion!)
- 1½ cups of frozen peas
- 2 cups of fresh spinach (chopped)
- 400g of raw (grey) prawns (defrosted, rinsed, tails removed if they have them)
- 1/2 tub (125g) of light cream cheese (like Philadelphia)
- Parmesan cheese to taste
- Prepare the Kenwood Cooking Chef for this recipe by placing the heat shield above the bowl and attaching the cooking chef stirring tool.
- Now attach the food processor with the thick slicing blade (#5) to the top of the Kenwood Cooking Chef. Slice the onion, garlic and leeks.
- Turn the temperature of the Kenwood Cooking Chef up to 120°C and allow to get up to temperature which won’t take long! When the blue light stops flashing and the cooking chef has reached temperature add the oil, and turn to ‘stir speed 2’ (this speed is a slow 2.5 revolutions then a pause for 5 seconds). Allow the oil to heat for 1 minute then add the onion, garlic and leeks.
- Place the splash guard over the bowl and set the timer for 8 minutes allowing the vegetables to soften in the oil.
- Now add the risotto rice, stock (and wine if you are using) to the bowl.
- Reduce the temperature to 100°C and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, add the prawns, cream cheese and peas to the bowl. Set the timer for another 8 minutes and then the risotto will be ready!
- Before removing from the heat, check the rice is cooked and that the prawns are nicely pink and cooked through. If you have big prawns, an extra couple of minutes cooking time might be needed.
- Serve with salad or green vegetables and grated parmesan. Simply delicious and so easy.