2 egg yolks
2.5ml (½ tsp) Dijon mustard
150ml (5fl oz) light olive oil
150ml (5fl oz) sunflower oil
15ml (1 tbsp) white wine vinegar or lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Makes: 300ml (½ pint)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Tools: Balloon whisk or food processing attachment or liquidizer
- Place the egg yolks and mustard in the Kenwood bowl. Mix the oils together in a jug.
- Using the Whisk at maximum speed start to whisk the egg yolks and mustard together. When they have combined add the oil, drop by drop to begin with and then in a slow steady stream, until half the oil is added.
- Switch off the machine, add half the white wine vinegar or lemon juice and seasoning, then whisk slowly, to combine. The mayonnaise should now be quite thick and smooth.
- Gradually add the remaining oil, whisking at maximum speed. Add the remaining vinegar or lemon juice. Store in a screw topped jar for up to 3 days in the fridge.
- Using the food processing attachment or liquidizer place the egg yolks, mustard and half the vinegar or lemon juice in the Food Processing Bowl or Liquidizer jug and blend until pale and creamy. With the motor running gradually pour in the oil and blend until the mayonnaise is thick. Add the remaining vinegar and seasoning.
Cook’s Note: Mayonnaise is best made with ingredients at room temperature. If the eggs are straight from the fridge then the mayonnaise is liable to curdle.
Coriander and lime mayonnaise: Replace the vinegar or lemon juice with lime juice and stir in 30ml (2 tbsp) finely chopped coriander and the finely grated rind of 2 limes.
Aioli: Add 4 crushed garlic cloves with the egg yolks and mustard in step 1.
Cucumber Mayonnaise: Finely chop 7.5cm (3 inch) piece of cucumber and pat dry on absorbent kitchen paper. Fold into the mayonnaise with 30ml (2 tbsp) chopped chervil or tarragon and a little extra salt. This mayonnaise makes a perfect accompaniment for fish.
Tartare Sauce: Add 10ml (2 tsp) snipped chives and 15ml (1 tbsp) each of chopped gherkins, capers and parsley to the finished mayonnaise. Stir in 15-30ml (1-2 tbsp) lemon juice to thin the mayonnaise.