Preparation time: 20 minutes, 40 minutes resting time
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Equipment: Baking trays, baking paper, piping bag,
To make the puff pastry:
- Attach the K beater and add the flour, salt and the butter. Mix on a slow speed until roughly combined. Do not allow the butter to become too small, about ½ cm is ideal.
- Add the water and mix until it forms a dough (with small visible chunks of butter still in it).
- Remove the dough from the bowl and roll out into a rectangle, fold over onto it-self into three layers.
- Rotate the pastry by 90° and roll out again into a rectangle and fold into three once more.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Repeat the rolling out and folding process twice more, refrigerate for 20 minutes each time.
To cook the puff pastry:
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out onto a floured surface to ½ cm thick.
- Prick lots of holes into the top of the pastry and place it on the lined baking tray. Place another baking tray on top of the pastry and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take out and cut into rectangles measuring 10cm by 6cm with a sharp knife.
To make the pastry cream:
- Attach the Creaming Beater and add the sugar, corn flour and the egg yolks to the bowl. Mix on a medium speed until the mixture is light and pale.
- Add the vanilla, cream and milk and mix on a slow speed until well combined.
- Set the temperature to 105°C and the speed to stirring speed 1. Bring to the boil then reduce the temperature to a simmer. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn the temperature off and continue to cook until the temperature reduces to 80°C.
- Place the cream into a clean bowl, cover and chill in the fridge until ready to use.
To make the Mille Feuille:
- Fill a piping bag with the pastry cream, lay a rectangle of the pastry onto a work surface and pipe a 1cm thick layer of the mixture on top. Repeat this process again until you have two layers of cream and 3 layers of pastry.
- Repeat the whole process with the other pastry rectangles.
- Dust with icing sugar and serve.