- 450g (1lb) strong plain flour
- 7g easy blend dried yeast
- pinch of salt
- 100g (4oz) butter, room temperature
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 200ml (7floz) warm milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5ml (1tsp) ground mixed spice
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 50g (2oz) sultanas
- 50g (2oz) currants
- 50g (2oz) pecan nuts, chopped
- clear honey, for glazing
- whole pecan nuts
Makes 12 buns
Prep time 25 mins
Cook time 30 mins
- Sift the flour into the bowl and add the yeast, half the butter and half the sugar. Fit the dough hook and blend on speed 1 for 1 minute, until combined. Add the egg and milk and blend on speed min for 1 minute, until a soft dough forms. Continue blending on speed 2 for 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl and store in a warm place. Cover with lightly oiled clear - film and leave for about 1-2 hours, until well risen and doubled in size. Meanwhile grease a 23 x 28cm (9 x 11in) baking tin.
- Fit the bowl and dough hook and knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to a 30cm (12in) square. Spread the remaining butter over the dough leaving a 2.5cm (1in) border.
- Scatter over the remaining sugar, spice, orange rind, sultanas, currants and pecan nuts. Then roll up. Cut the roll into 12 slices and arrange in the prepared tin well spaced apart. Cover with lightly oiled, clear film and leave in a warm place, until doubled in size.