Vegetarian & Egg free
15ml Olive oil
1kg Red Onions - Finely sliced or chopped
1tbs Runny Honey
4tsp Cornflour and 50ml water to mix
15ml Cider or white wine vinegar
1 ½ litres Hot Vegetable stock (vegetarian option) or chicken stock
2 Bay leaves
½ tsp Fresh ground black pepper
2 Ciabatta rolls roughly chopped into 2cms chunks
15ml Olive oil
25g Grated Parmesan cheese
Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
1. Pre heat the slow cooker on high.
2. Melt the butter and the olive oil.
3. Add the onions and the honey. Stir well and cook with the lid on for 5hrs stirring occasionally until caramelised.
4. Add the pepper, stock and vinegar. Stir and place the lid on the slow cooker
5. Cook for 2 hrs.
6. To thicken mix the cornflour with the water and mix into the soup , stir and cook for a further 20 minutes .
7. While the soup thickens place the Ciabatta chunks on a baking tray sprinkle with the oil and cheese then place in a hot oven or under a medium heat grill to toast.
8. To serve the soup pour into warmed bowls, place croutons on the top and add a generous sprinkle of fresh chopped parsley.
1. Using a ready made stock or one from a good quality cube is fine but remember to taste before adding any more seasoning as they are often salted already.
2. Adding chopped parsley provides a source of vitamin c.
3. To speed up the preparation time caramelization of the onions can be done in a large frying pan. This will take about 20mins.