Serves 4 (Using Kenwood Slow Cooker or Curry Cooker)
225g Dried chickpeas
20ml Olive or Vegetable oil
2 Onions - sliced
2 Cloves garlic- crushed
75g Grated fresh coconut
3 Green chillies – de seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 tablespoon Mild curry paste
Onion Tarka to garnish
1 Onion – finely sliced
20ml Vegetable oil
1. To prepare the chickpeas – soak in double the volume of water for 8-24 hours. Drain and place in a large pan. Cover again with water to twice the volume, bring to the boil and cook for 12-15 minutes. Skim off any scum and drain. Place into the Curry cooker.
2. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and stir-fry the onions and garlic until brown, add the mustard seeds, coconut and chilli. Cook for a further 30 seconds.
3. Add the stir-fried ingredients to the chickpeas in the Curry cooker and stir in the coconut milk and curry paste.
4. Cook for 1 hour.
5. To prepare the Tarka – Heat the oil in the frying pan, add the onions and fry over a low heat until crisp.
6. Serve the curry with the Tarka on top.