For the Filling
- Cook the minced beef in a pan over medium heat until brown breaking down any chunks of meat with a wooden spoon and drain off any excess fat.
- Add the onion, oil, spices, salt and pepper stirring continously for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool aside.
For the Duggus (tomato cilantro salsa):
- Plunge the tomatoes in boiling water for 20 minutes, then plunge them into ice cold water.
- Finely chop the tomatoes, the rest of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the Dough
- Mix the flour and salt in Kenwood bowl using the K-beater, on low speed.
- Add the oil and water and continue to mix on medium speed for 10 minutes until well combined and a soft, elastic dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into small equal balls.
- Roll out onto a smooth floured surface and cut into circles of about 1/2cm thick.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling into each semi-circle and lightly brush the edges with water using your finger tips.
- Fold the dough over and seal the edges.
- Deep fry in batches until golden and drain on paper towel.
- Arrange on a plate and serve with Duggus salsa.
- Ground Spices are: nutmeg, coriander, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and dried chilli).
- Another filling variation: peas, chopped onion and cubes of boiled potatoes cooked in some olive oil and seasoned with dried coriander and cumin.