Traditionally in England, these little cakes are served as part of an afternoon tea service. They are cut in half, spread with a little unsalted butter and then some strawberry jam. The scone is then topped with clotted cream, and halvesput back together and dusted with icing sugar.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Attach the knife blade to the food processor.
- Cut the butter (which must be cold) into small cubes.
- Place the flour, baking powder, lemon zest, sugar and butter into the food processor bowl.
- Switch to speed 2 and mix until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- With the machine running add the milk and the eggs.
- Mix until they form a dough, but be careful not to over work, then add the sultanas.
- Place the mixture onto a floured work service and roll out to a thickness of 3cm.
- Dip a 6 cm round pastry cutter in flour, then cut out thescones and then turn the scones over onto a baking tray.
- Allow to rest for 5 minutes, then bake in a preheated ovenset at 200ºC.
- Bake for 5 minutes then turn the temperature down to180ºC and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and rest them on a cooling rack.